Confession: I’ve been slacking on the Book Club. I can blame a lot of things for this. The Thrawncast readings have taken up more time than I expected. I’m also trying to keep up with Tor.com’s Vorkosigan saga read-through as well as the Wraith Squadron arc for Rogue Podron. Then there was Rogue One (I still haven’t read the novelization yet), family in town for Christmas, and — oh yeah — my own writing to focus on.
Needless to say, we skipped December’s pick, Radiance. But it’s a new year and I want to make a new effort with the Book Club. No more excuses! I’m cheating for the first three months and picking books I’ve already read — the Mageworlds trilogy by Debra Doyle and James Macdonald. I love them (the lead is basically Jaina Solo), and I hope you will, too. (For those of you looking forward to reading Radiance, don’t worry, we haven’t skipped it for good!)
Here’s a revised Book Club schedule for 2017. As always, it’s subject to change, and as always, if you have any suggestions, be sure to let me know!
- January: The Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle and James Macdonald
- February: Starpilot’s Grave by Debra Doyle and James Macdonald
- March: By Honor Betray’d by Debra Doyle and James Macdonald
- April: Binti: Home by Nnedi Okorafor
- May: Radiance by Catherynne Valente
- June: The Stars are Legion by Kameron Hurley
- July: Archivist Wasp by Nicole Kornher-Stace
- August: Wake of Vultures by Lila Bowen
- September: The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
- October: Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
- November: Ash by Malinda Lo
- December: Barbary Station by R.E. Stearns (releases December 5)
If you haven’t joined the Book Club yet, be sure to do so on Goodreads! You’ll have to request membership before it’s approved.