I feel like I’m just repeating myself at this point but it bears saying again: War Stories is a very X-Wingy sort of story. That’s X-Wing with a capital X, by the way. As in the X-Wing series.
Why has War Stories made me happy? Oh let us count the ways…
- It made the series feel like more of an ensemble piece again
- It’s not afraid of humor
- This includes bad jokes/puns because our heroes can’t be perfect at everything (LOOKING AT YOU, POE DAMERON)
- The use of a holojournalist and propaganda examines a not as often dealt with aspect of war
- The new main villain would totally be twirling her mustache if she had one and I mean that in the best way possible
- We get illusions to a character’s tragic backstory which leaves us wanting to know more
- It tugs at your heartstrings when you least expect it
Poe Dameron #19 is the cap on a very solid arc that has been very Star Wars to the core. There hasn’t really been any moment that’s left me gasping in shock or crying my eyes out in this arc but it’s been fun and I’ve enjoyed the heck out of every minute. Perhaps I’m biased because I adore Jess Pava but I can definitely see this being a story arc that I keep coming back and rereading. Kudos to all involved.
Poe Dameron #19: Charles Soule/Writer, Angel Unzueta/Artist, Arif Prianto/Colorist, Joe Caramagna/Letterer, Jordan White/Editor, Heather Antos/Assistant Editor